Effective Ways to Overcome Depression and Insomnia
Medical specialists are concerned about the increasing number of patients with potentially dangerous symptoms of depression, which are not recognized by people in time. They lead to more serious diagnoses. Stay with us to investigate it.
Everyday stress and a lack of time cause highly frequent illnesses – they are the diseases of the 21st century.
Nowadays, statistics show that one out of every two adults is suffering from arousal a few times a night and feels exhausted after bedtime. A depressive condition is almost simultaneously appears as a common disease – one of three is treated for clear indication of depressive syndrome.
Now ask yourself important question – are you tired of constant feeling being lonely and sleepy at the same time? Welcome to Fight club … with Sleeplessness and Stress!
Depression or Insomnia: What Comes First?
Recent research revealed a high correlation between depressive conditions and insomnia. The most common evidence of the syndrome is sleeplessness. This doesn’t mean that the sleep disorder acts as a main reason for it, but irregular rest does.
Meanwhile, frequent pauses in rest during the night are caused by other medical diseases and emotional experiences. There are some ways of self-examination to identify this disorder. Pay attention to:
- gaps in memory;
- quantity of awakenings;
- quality of bedtime (feeling restless and exhausted in the morning).
Some medical studies showed that even a shift job is a crucial cause of sleeplessness. If you have all those symptoms – don’t waste your time! Usually depression and insomnia are bundled together.
Can Insomnia Treatment Help with Depression?
As it’s known, sleeping has a curative effect and is used as universal treatment for many illnesses. One of the most effectively-used approaches is for treating a depressive condition. Freshness and fullness of life are those feelings which patient gets after a good night’s and healthy sleep.
After continuous experimental research, scientists highlighted a lot of curious facts.
The test group who were diagnosed both insomnia and depression had treatment with a psychotherapist. Almost half of the group admitted gradual mood improvement.
The test group who experienced being on antidepressants and sleeping pills simultaneously had much more of an effect than the group where treatment was with antidepressants only. The more they slept, the more they improved their emotional condition.
On the other hand, scientists admitted a phenomenon: healthy people, along with depressed patients having sleepless night, experienced elation. But if they had even a few minutes of sleep – the miracle of happiness disappeared at once.
Thus, scientists strongly recommend examining your own body, following your biological clock, and trying to free your mind from unnecessary thoughts to rest well at night.
Choose the Best Medication to Treat Them Both
Mainly, insomnia and depression medication actuate the production of serotonin.
- SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor). The main disadvantage of such a medication is that its effect appears approximately after 1 month of treatment. Sleeplessness also intensifies or even returns back. Thus, doctors can prescribe sleeping pills additionally.
- Tricyclic antidepressants and tetracyclic antidepressants(also known cyclic) were the first medications which were used to relieve depressive syndrome. They are not popular among doctors because of their numerous after-effects. They are prescribed in cases when other medicines failed, though.
- SNRI (serotonin/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors). Except for treating depressive condition they have one more effect which is as a painkiller. They are prescribed if a patient has constant pain along with depression.
- Sedating antidepressants(also known tranquilizers or depressants) promote sleep and have a soothing effect. They are also useful for anxiety relief. They have a huge disadvantage – they cause addiction.
- Hypnotic/sleeping pills. They promote sleep. Can be prescribed only after careful investigation of the patient’s lifestyle.
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors are also among the first antidepressants which were prescribed by doctors to relieve this syndrome. But they also have a plenty of after-effects. They also imply dieting, otherwise there is risk of getting high blood pressure.
- Atypical antidepressants are the medications which work in a unique manner from the others.
Those are medical ways of treatment which are widely spread among doctors. Non-traditional approaches are also popular, though.
Tips to Kill Two Birds with One Stone
Some simple approaches will keep your mind clear and make you feel better.
- The first is clinical aid by cognitive behavioral therapy for rest disorder, or also known as CBT-I. The therapist encourages patient to think more positively and demonstrates better practices how to sleep well. Some of the tips are: fall asleep and wake up every day at the same time, write down a daily plan, turn off the light, and block out noises before going to bed.
- The next approaches don’t involve medical specialists. Wake up when the sun rises. Sunlight always influences the human body positively. It allows the brain to produce the hormone serotonin, improves metabolism, and gives people inspiration.
- Physical exercises also produce serotonin, and spending time in the gym makes you put off all the negative and destructive emotions, get out aggression, and spend excessive energy.
- Going to bed earlier is a good practice, but going to bed early every day is better. Try to wake up and have a rest at the same time. Listen to your own body’s clock.
- A friend’s support also interacts as significant element of treatment. Having more friends relatively depends on patient’s mood since communication and support releases stress, as well as lessens irritability, aggression, tension, etc. Relatives also help you to keep your body clock on schedule.
- An alternative way of treatment is changing the way of life, e.g. move to another place of living, quit your job, go on vacation, indulge a little habit, etc. Sometimes radical changes bring more success than there was before.
We recommend you to follow the above mentioned recommendations, as thanks to them you’ll gradually see positive changes in your mental and physical state. It’s not easy to get rid of your past habits, but it is certainly worth doing it.
All those tips are based on general statistics. Visit a medical center and consult a doctor. Only medical specialists can identify the real problem. However, some cases don’t require medical consultation, such as a party night. Medications on ModafinilXL will help you to stay fresh all day long and increase your ability to work.